Monday, September 10, 2007

Unmet Expectations

Today, after 3 years, my daughter finally got her braces off. I am so glad the ordeal is finally over. You probably think I am happy because my hard earned dollars have something to show for them...almost $5K later, she has pretty teeth. But honestly, I am glad because now I will not have to fight with her after every orthodonist visit. See, when they first put them on, we were told 2 years. So last October, 2006 was supposed to be it. But here we are a year later and they were still on. Each month after every visit either on the car ride home or later that day, Amber would just go off with anger, because she wanted them off and she wanted me to make it happen. She wanted me to rant and rave to the doc, like she was doing to me, so he would take them off. She wanted me to rescue her from this horrible plight of metal in her mouth. But I didn't, so she would get angry with me or her dad.
This week at www.mynakedpastor.com, you can check out my Pastor and his family as they allow cameras into their home. Again like I have said before, I give them major PROPS! This takes courage, endurance, etc! Pastor Troy and his wife will teach this weekend on marriage, conflict, fighting, etc. I know they will be transparent in hopes that what they deal with it can help save a marriage in conflict.
Now my conflict over the past year was with my daughter, and for the most part she is a lot of fun to be around, but when her expectations were not met on the date she thought those braces should come off, it was pretty ugly. I do not know if I would want those situations filmed in the car or at home. Isn't that what causes most anger to build, unmet expectations.
Make sure you attend or log in and hear what God has to say through Pastor Troy and Stephanie this weekend at Flamingo Road Church.
I hope to have a photo of Amber and her pearly whites to post soon...We are celebrating, the braces are OFF and the fits of anger cease. I hope she learned patience!

2 comments:

Danisa said...

I wish everything we want off would be like metal braces. I get upset everytime I get on the scale and the fat-brace is still on.

Congratulations Amber!

Renee said...

YEEEEAAAAA Ams!!!! Thank God for you Holly~lol, Her smile is beautiful.....congrats to you both :)