Thursday, September 13, 2007

Let them go, for now, not forever

I realized this with my son and now I am back at the same place with my daughter. I knew it would come, it is part of the process. It is just a hard place to be. As parents we are wired to protect. Yet, there comes a time when we have to LET GO. I don't mean not to have boundaries for a teenager, I mean they have to make decisions on their own, and even when we know it may lead to pain, even when they know, we have to LET GO. We have to PRAY and ask for God to protect them. I can not really go into details about what I am watching my daughter deal with, that is not fair to her. And please do not derive worse case scenarios, it is teenage stuff. I was here before with my son and the first time around is hard. I shed tears, prayed, sought wise counsel and prayed some more. I knew the result of the choice may lead to pain, I wanted to protect, but I also had to be very careful that my opinion did not push him away. I still wanted to be a part of his world, but I had to give him his space. Teenagers are supposed to separate away from mom and dad leading every aspect of their life to them finding out how to lead their own way. They are becoming their own person, own belief, own values. You pray they choose what they have been taught. But they have to believe they got their on their own terms. It is a thin line, should I say adamantly, NO. Or should I pray and with some boundaries parent so that she now can navigate this situation to make the right choice. To see what is best for her not just today, but down the road. That is maturity, that is what I am always trying to get them to understand, don't just think for today, but how will this effect me down the road. During the time my son was 16-18 years old, God taught me so much about trusting Him, about letting go and it was about a 2 year process...But I will never forget being in a church service and during worship, one of those few times, I heard God clearly say to me, "Let him go". It was preparation for the day I left him at college many miles away. I have to remember what I have learned from that experience. I have to pray. The day I left my son at college I told him that from that day forward, he was directly under the leadership of God and I was there for guidance, but he needed to go to God for the direction of his life. I am not totally there yet with my daughter, but I trust and know that God loves her more than I do. I just wish right now she understood where I was coming from. She's not supposed to and one day she will. Right now, I may have to take the role of the mean, misunderstood mom. But I know that I answer to God and not to her for my leadership as a mom. My son came around after he left home and he realized I was only looking out for his best interest, I pray she does also. It is just so hard to let her go, but it is the healthy and best thing to do, slowly but surely...Lord, please protect her and let her one day understand how much I love her. It is hard, she is the youngest and shes a girl. I hear you Lord, I am doing the best I can...

No comments: