Monday, October 1, 2007

The Jelly Jam Bowl

Tim and his bro, Phil

Kindal, Tim, Blake, Amber






I love football. I love to watch it on TV, I love to attend games. I love the atmosphere at a game. I love the life lessons that the sport teaches. My love of football comes from my dad. My dad owned his own business and was a workaholic, but the one thing he did do for fun was attend Dolphin and Hurricane games each time they were home. He was a season ticket holder for as long as I can remember. My mom didn't care to attend the games, so many times I got to go. I learned football and for a couple hours each week, I got to spend time with my dad.

So it's pretty cool that now as an adult, that football allows me to spend time with my family. This past Friday, I was able to witness the first Farver vs. Farver high school football game. My husband's high school team played his brother, Phil's team. My nephew, Blake who is a sophomore, plays back-up quarterback. Blake was very excited to get to play against his uncle, and was preparing his team all week with the "Beat Uncle Tim" slogan. He even wanted the cheerleaders to paint it on the banner his team would run through at the beginning of the game. Tim tried to lighten the mood by telling Blake they would play for a jar of grandma's jelly. (Tim's mom makes the best homemade jelly and all the grandchildren will only eat her kind and not store bought. Each Christmas when the box arrives each family hopes they get a lot of strawberry and not apple butter.) It was just a joke and no jelly was exchanged!

It was great to see my sister-in-law and spend time with her during the game. I decided to sit with her on the opposing team's side. I love to cheer the team on and knew I would have to be a tad neutral being on the "other" side. But family is more important than the score. At first, Blake's team was dominating, they scored 2 touchdowns in the first quarter. I was getting a little nervous. Blake was also nervous, after the first score, the starting quarterback hurt his knee. That meant Blake was in to lead his team. He did a great job! He told me after the game he felt a bit overwhelmed, but I told him he surely didn't show it. Tim's team re-adjusted their offense and ended up winning the game 37-14. I was happy for the win, but felt bad for my nephew when I saw the tears in his eyes. He said he wanted to win so bad. He didn't get the win, but I think God has bigger plans for his future. His preparation for the task and the willingness to tackle it is the lesson I saw him learn.

And as far as Tim and his team, their record after this game is 4-0 and ranked number 1 in the state. Not always a good thing this early in the season, the kids can tend to get a little full of themselves. I pray they remain humble and give great effort for the long haul. Because when playoffs begin, it is a whole new ball game.

No comments: