Tuesday, October 16, 2007

One White Jersey

One of the biggest obstacles for a teenager and possibly even an adult to make is taking a stand for what they believe in. Working with teenagers, and having a couple of my own, a value I try to instill and hold up high is letting them know it is ok to be yourself and stand up for what you believe in. Acceptance is such a big part of the teenage years and for many it doesn't end at 19, but carries into the adult years. Being brave enough to be ourselves and take a stand for what we believe is not easy. Last week I witnessed a high school sophomore take a stand for what he believed in. I find that so courageous in people in general. It was at my husband's high school football game. They played a public high school from Tavenier. At the end of every game, my husband's team will create a circle and invite the other team to join for prayer. Most teams will accept, some don't. This week the other team did not accept. My husband's team all in their black jerseys took a knee and were about to bow their heads and then from the other side, one white jersey, #7, the quarterback from the other team, joined the circle. He took a knee and bowed his head to pray. Courage, not only did his team lose, but he was the starting quarterback. Character, to walk away from the crowd, to participate in something he felt strongly about. I was so impressed. Tears came to my eyes and I wished I had a camera. It would have been a powerful photo of the one white jersey amoung the 38 black jerseys, all kneeling, heads bowed. God has great plans for #7, I hope the others took notice and he inspired them to have courage next time.

1 comment:

Danisa said...

WOW!!! I'll make sure to share this post with a few young friends, including my Dan. Very powerful.