Friday, October 19, 2007

Life of Teenagers

Amber & Ryan Sheckler

One thing I have learned in raising teenagers is most of their 4 years of high school is about how far away they can separate themselves from the identity of mom and dad, and create their own identity. It is normal for a separation to begin between teenager and parents. I learned that I need to give my teenager their space, but try to be intentional on finding out what it is they like and join them. A teenager between the age of 14-18 doesn't usually think what their parents like is so cool anymore, like their music, verbage, tv shows, etc. So when my son was at this stage, we both loved music, so I tried to get to know about the music he was into. He followed a group called Pillar from middle school and was a true fan.
My daughter has come to that time in her life where she is distancing her self, so it was time to be intentional about what we share in common or what is she into that I can learn to love. Besides the normal girl stuff like shopping, getting your nails or hair done, I realized she likes to watch The Hills and Life of Ryan on TV Monday nights. This is our time to hang out, we enjoy watching the show together and discussing the plots and characters. When my son was into his bands, we would accompany him to some of their concerts, even hooking up with tours when we were on our vacations (Ohio and New York). Well, the past two days, I spent with my daughter hanging out at the AST Dew Tour watching Ryan Sheckler skate. As a 16 year old, she thinks he is cute, but in no way wants to be known as an obsessive fan. While we were at the venue watching the events a couple times he came up close and all the girls would go crazy. I was like Amber, go over and snap his pic, she was like, no way I am not that obsessive. We had fun hanging out together and after a long day in the heat and then rain, Ryan's skate heat was postponed, so we decided to leave. On our way out of the event, guess who we ran into leaving also, yep, Ryan. He was with his family and I am sure ready to go to his hotel and rest. But he was very kind to stop and take pictures with Amber. She did not want to even ask for a photo. I asked her, can I ask him, you may never get this chance again. Thanks Ryan for obliging, you really are a class act. Amber and I went to dinner and reminised over our day. She was joking about taking the photo being priceless. But honestly, making memories with my teenager, {who prefers to spend more time with her friends and find her place in this world, away from mom or dad}, that is truly priceless.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

That's awesome Holly!!!! What a great idea. It's so hard for me to come out of my comfort zone to do the things that Jake likes to do. But what a great opportunity to bond. It makes them feel like we respect their hobbies/interests and can actually make them want us to be part of it all. I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks once again for the great idea!!!!
Kristin

Unknown said...

It's Sean! Well Holly, I must say I'm pretty jealous over you and Amber. I watch the Hills! Yea I know its pathetic! I should go over there on Mondays to bond with you guys. By the way do you think I can find a way to be with Lauren from the Hills? Anyways, great writeup and Amber that's an awesome photo of you and Ryan! Miss you guys!

Love Sean

Holly said...

Sean,
Yes you are always welcome to join us for Monday night bonding...it may be good to get a guys perspective since Corey is not here! You need to start a blog, you are an awesome writer! We love you mucho! Praying for you and know that God has Big Plans for you! Love you, Holly

Holly said...

Sean
PS, we are planning a trip to Cali, come with us to find Lauren from the Hills :-) Amber would love to help you find her and the crew!!

Views from the Porch said...

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am still in the blog learning mode.
Thanks so much for your blog about being a teen mom. What a good mom who searches for a way to connect with her children rather than expecting them to do the searching! But at the same time being sensitive to their timing, not yours. Very well put!

Brenda