Thursday, February 28, 2008

No Regrets!

After reading the Potential Blog today, I am inspired to write down my thoughts on a blog entry written by Raul Palacios. I thought to myself I could leave a long comment, but why not just write my own blog entry. Regarding his blog entry on Quitting - what encouraged me in his words, were the last three lines that said, "God pours out His blessings to those who persevere. The difference between extraordinary and ordinary is effort. With effort also comes a life lived without regret." It got me to thinking about when I lead Children's Ministry at Flamingo Road Church almost 10 years ago. I was taking the steps and walking through doors that opened in ministry, first thanking God for providing a part time job that allowed me to make some extra money as I pursued being a full time mom. As I lead in Children's Ministry, I never felt like it was the place I would end up or where I belonged. There were times that I felt like quitting, but quitting is never an option, just a feeling. I have taught my children that if they begin something and make a commitment, they must finish out the season, the venture. So I knew in order to hold them to it, I had to live it. What I knew was that God had given me an opportunity to be true to my first calling at that season in my life and that was being a mother. After about 2 years leading, an opportunity came for me to take on more responsibility in Children's Ministry (and I know many didn't understand) but I had to say no because the priority at that time was to be a full time mom and a part time minister. I also was doing something that I did not feel was my total calling, so I never totally felt like the puzzle pieces were fitting, but it was where God wanted me to be and I needed to be obedient. I learned so much about leadership, caring for leaders and building teams during those five years. If I had quit, God would not have been able to have me in the right place at the right time to step into Student Ministry. Once I began working with teenagers, the puzzle pieces fit so much better and I was able to use my life experiences to invest into 13-18 year olds. I particularly like the last statement that reads, "with effort comes a life lived without regret"...I have stayed true to what God has called me to do with my own children and with Children's Ministry. I was there for a time, a time that God needed and ordained and I also was able to be available to my children and God has definitely blessed me for being true to myself, sticking to my goals and living out my list of life priorities. Both my children are a testimony to my professional sacrifice. My season in life is changing and now my priorities can change also. I can give more time to students and leaders and truly use my gifts, life experiences and passions to honor God. That is success! That is a life lived without regret! Be real with yourself and with your Savior and He will make a way and you will have no regrets!

No comments: