Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Not part of my plan

Monday was going to be an exciting day for me because Chad, our student pastor and my boss had told Carson and I that we could take Monday off to rest and get ready for our big Easter weekend. I had plans to go to the beach on my own, then get my car washed and repot some plants that needed new pots.
I did want to include my daughter in the plans, but she was hosting an elementary cheer camp and would be busy til 3pm. My husband had to get ready for a softball game, so I made these plans for just me, myself, and I!
Well, that is not exactly how the day turned out, but I wouldn't trade my day. I must admit, I was a little aggravated at first. My daughter told me the night before that she needed my help with registration. She and her friend, Jessi, were the organizers of the camp and my husband was the responsible adult, but at the last minute he couldnt be there. Thank goodness, I didnt have to be at my job, I thought. My plan was to go and leave, but it didnt go as planned. As I assisted my daughter and then ended up helping my husband get a last minute list of track team students into the FHSAA, I realized, that I was really having a great day working alongside my daughter and my husband with the things they were passionate about. Many times they had worked alongside me with jobs that I am passionate about. Families used to be more connected and work together for the sake of the team.
When my daughter and I got home, she had flicked on the tube and the Oprah show was on, guess what the topic was - family. Wow, God, I do know this, I thought, but it was again reinforced that there is nothing like family. In this day and age, we purposefully have to put our families first and schedule family time (as Rev Run spoke about on Oprah). When my children were smaller it seemed easier, I could plan the event. But I have learned to join them where they are in their life, whether its cheer camp for my daughter or concerts and Gator games with my son. My family is the legacy I leave and sometimes the place I hear God speak the loudest!
Yesterday wasn't part of my plan, but it was definitely how God planned it would be!