Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Every privileged American should have this experience

I am so blessed to have been given the opportunity over the past few years to have a job that allows me to use my gifts and experience the desires of my heart. A couple of weeks ago I travelled to Peru with a group of 21 teenagers on a mission trip. We were able to experience so many God moments, moments that you just walk in the spirit and trust that God is leading you in unknown steps of your life. I loved watching the students as they were taken out of their comfort zone and hopefully began to learn what it truly means to have faith and trust. We spent time in Lima serving at an orphanage, watching the kids eat pepperoni on their pizza for the first time and many more locations. Each place we went we met special people that God placed in our path. Along my journey I met Carmen at the orphanage, Mira at Pachachutec, Brandon in Iquitos, the women in the tribe at the jungle, Emerson in Lima and Violeta at FRC Lima. On a mission trip we are taken out of our normal routine and forced to notice the less fortunate than ourselves. But when we come home do we continue to look for those hurting people that God places in our path. This was the lesson that I was hoping my privileged 15 year old daughter and the rest of the teenagers would grasp. The first day we went to the orphanage and the little girls who live their wanted to show our kids their bedrooms. As I followed a group of our girls up the stairs and into the room, my daughter came out of the room crying very hard. She could not express in words what she was feeling, but I believe she had her first moment of realization of how those with less live each day and are proud of what they have and how blessed she was. Our students would share in different ways how they were observing those that live with less but love and serve God with so much more passion than we do in America. For 3 days we went to the jungle town of Iquitos and visited tribes and villages of those in need. It never felt like we gave them enough, but we always shared the gospel and many accepted Christ and that really is the greatest gift we could offer. The photos in this blog are of my daughter with a child from the tribe and her placing an anaconda over her shoulders. Last night when I picked her up from a friend's home, she asked me if she could go in a couple weeks to feed the homeless down in Miami with a ministry called PB & J. My heart smiled and I immediately thanked God for the opportunity she was given to go on this mission trip. I hope she is getting that calling yourself a Christian is more than just a label on her myspace page, but a lifestyle of action and service. James 2:14-26

No comments: